This Award offers the opportunity for experienced and qualified service Instructors/Trainers in core disciplines such as GP, DDD, and EDD to gain NASDU accreditation as an acknowledgement of their existing experience and training skills.
For whom suitable
- The Award is designed for those experienced Service Instructors/Trainers who are working in establishments such as the Police, Prison Service or the Military. Note: Service Instructors on leaving such establishments and wishing to continue as Affiliate Trainers in the private security industry must hold a Level 3 training/instructional qualification (see Prior Learning).
- The Award is also designed for those Service Instructors/Trainers who have left such establishments who hold a Level 3 Teaching qualification and have kept their teaching skills and knowledge current but do not require the full NASDU Approved Instructor/Trainer status.
- The Award also offers the opportunity for experienced and qualified Instructors/Trainers in additional search activities (other than core disciplines) to gain NASDU accreditation.
The Award of Affiliate Trainer will be certificated by NASDU and acknowledged by HABC.
The Award is issued following presentation and moderation of a portfolio of evidence, and will run concurrently with NASDU Individual Membership which will run annually from 1st March to 28th February.
There is no requirement to proceed to an Approved Instructor/Trainer and as such there is no time limit as to how long an individual can remain as an Affiliate Trainer.
Assessment and internal moderation of the Affiliate Trainers portfolio will be by NASDU with external moderation by HABC.
The programme is by presentation of a portfolio of evidence (see Prior Learning).
- Must hold or have held a nationally recognised dog training qualification i.e. ACPO/Home Office Instructor, HM Armed Forces Instructor, HM Prisons Instructor in the discipline in which they wish to provide training in (i.e. GP, DD, EDD). Alternative requirements exist for non-service Instructors experienced in other types of search activities (i.e. urban/rural/water search and rescue etc.).
- Must have sufficient documented experience in the field of dog training within the last 5 years to ensure competency as a Dog Trainer
- Must have sufficient documented experience in service/security dog handling within the last 5 years to ensure competency in the handling of a dog
- Must demonstrate sector competence, in that they have the necessary experience, knowledge and understanding of the sector in which they are providing training
- Must demonstrate that they are keeping their own knowledge and skills up to date (CPD)
NASDU shall certificate the Affiliate Trainer following successful moderation of their portfolio.
Affiliate Trainers can progress to Approved Instructor/Trainer status, onto other disciplines of dog training or into security management.
- Affiliate Trainers can be utilised by Approved NASDU Instructors/Trainers in the delivery of training both theoretical and practical, thus providing the necessary experience, knowledge and understanding of a specific discipline (i.e. Drugs/Explosive/GP Dogs).
- Affiliate Trainers can also be utilised by Approved NASDU Instructors/Trainers in undertaking final (externally independent) assessments, for Level 3 and 4 qualifications.
- Affiliate Trainers can also be utilised by the NASDU Inspectorate to undertake external/internal moderation, assessments and inspections, also to provide support and guidance in their particular field of expertise.
NB: Affiliate Trainers cannot be used to undertake final assessment/examination if they have been previously involved in the delivery of training to an individual learner.
Verification Fee: £35.00
Individual Membership: £25.00
Affiliate Trainer Membership Fee: £35.00
Terms of Application
NASDU as a Membership Association reserves the right to decline an application without formal explanation.
For an application form click here